Caller.com Local Political News
- Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:25:00 +0000: Nueces County leaders mull Port of Corpus Christi appointment - Corpus Christi Caller Times Stories: Politics
Eight have applied to replace former Port Commissioner Mike Scott who resigned last month. County Commissioners are expected to make a decision Wednesday.
- Tue, 18 Jun 2013 14:04:00 +0000: Texas Windstorm Insurance Association board seeks short term funding - Corpus Christi Caller Times Stories: Politics
The board at its quarterly meeting discussed how it may convince Texas’ new Insurance Commissioner, Julia Rathgeber, to reverse course on a decision to disapprove the $500 million line of credit — also called a Bond Anticipation Note — made by outgoing Commissioner Eleanor Kitzman.
- Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:05:00 +0000: Maps clear Texas House panel - Corpus Christi Caller Times Stories: Politics
Legislators literally mapping out the state’s political future on Monday voted out of a committee the result Gov. Rick Perry had hoped for: the district maps already in place.
- Sun, 16 Jun 2013 16:50:00 +0000: This week at the Capitol - Corpus Christi Caller Times Stories: Politics
Gov. Rick Perry added transportation, abortion, and a very specific piece of criminal justice law to the special session topics for consideration
- Sun, 16 Jun 2013 15:04:00 +0000: High marks for less testing - Corpus Christi Caller Times Stories: Politics
The first time Jack Buxkemper failed an English end-of-course exam, he was “a little disappointed.”
Huffington Post Political News
- Wed, 19 Jun 2013 12:35:12 +0000: Rep. Steve Israel: A True Shonda: Princesses: Long Island - Politics on HuffingtonPost.com
I'm proud to represent an area of Long Island that has been the location for many famous movies and TV shows. Shamefully, it's also now the location for a show whose characters are disgraceful, misleading, and fuel anti-Semitic stereotypes: Princesses: Long Island.
- Wed, 19 Jun 2013 12:28:45 +0000: First Phase Of Jury Selection Completed In Zimmerman Trial (Live Updates) - Politics on HuffingtonPost.com
The first phase of jury selection in the trial of George Zimmerman concluded Tuesday with 40 prospective jurors cleared for further questioning in the high-profile...
- Wed, 19 Jun 2013 12:28:42 +0000: Obama Gives Speech At Historic Landmark - Politics on HuffingtonPost.com
By JULIE PACE, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS BERLIN -- President Barack Obama will renew his call Wednesday to reduce the world's nuclear stockpiles, including a proposed...
- Wed, 19 Jun 2013 12:26:10 +0000: Jeff Danziger: Your Taxes at War - Politics on HuffingtonPost.com
- Wed, 19 Jun 2013 12:20:58 +0000: Obama Gets Slack Bush Was Once Denied - Politics on HuffingtonPost.com
In recent days, there has been discussion about how Democrats and liberals, once severe critics of anti-terror surveillance programs when Republican President George W. Bush...
Washington Post Political News
- Wed, 19 Jun 2013 16:07:27 +0000: White House softball team to suit up against pot lobby for a rematch - Post Politics: Breaking Politics News, Political Analysis & More - The Washington Post
It’s rematch time for the White House softball team, which you might recall got smoked last summer by a team fielded by a coalition of pro-marijuana groups.
The two teams square off again on Wednesday night at the field on the Ellipse just off the White House’s front lawn.Read full article >>
- Wed, 19 Jun 2013 15:16:33 +0000: House panel approves controversial immigration bill - Post Politics: Breaking Politics News, Political Analysis & More - The Washington Post
The House Judiciary Committee approved a measure late Tuesday that would make it a federal crime for illegal immigrants to be in the United States.
The Republican-backed proposal also would permit state and local governments to draft their own immigration laws, as long as they are consistent with federal statutes.Read full article >>
- Wed, 19 Jun 2013 15:08:11 +0000: Grassley: IRS about to pay $70 million in bonuses - Post Politics: Breaking Politics News, Political Analysis & More - The Washington Post
A few items that caught our attention on Wednesday:
IRS is about to pay $70 million in bonuses despite administration directive. That's according to Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), who said his office has learned that the IRS is executing an agreement with the employees' union on Wednesday to pay the bonuses. A directive from the White House budget office tells agencies to not pay discretionary monetary awards under the sequester "unless legally required," according to an Associated Press article.Read full article >>
- Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:53:15 +0000: Murkowski becomes third GOP senator to back gay marriage - Post Politics: Breaking Politics News, Political Analysis & More - The Washington Post
A third Republican senator has come out in favor of gay marriage, with Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) announcing her support Wednesday morning.
"I am a life-long Republican because I believe in promoting freedom and limiting the reach of government," Murkowski wrote on her Web site. "When government does act, I believe it should encourage family values. I support the right of all Americans to marry the person they love and choose because I believe doing so promotes both values: it keeps politicians out of the most private and personal aspects of peoples' lives while also encouraging more families to form and more adults to make a lifetime commitment to one another."Read full article >>
- Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:29:00 +0000: Is Rand Paul going mainstream, or vice versa? - Post Politics: Breaking Politics News, Political Analysis & More - The Washington Post
Rand Paul seems to be crossing over to the mainstream — or maybe, it’s the other way around.
When Kentucky’s junior senator arrived in Washington just over two years ago, he seemed destined to inhabit the role of perpetual outlier. But now, he’s in the mix on just about everything that is happening, and talked about as a credible Republican presidential contender in 2016.Read full article >>